Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Jesse Tree

We began a new tradition this year.  It's called a Jesse Tree.  The Jesse Tree is named from Isaiah 11:1-2: A shoot will spring forth from the stump of Jesse and a branch out of his roots.  It is a vehicle to tell the Story of God in the Old Testament and to connect the Advent Season with the faithfulness of God across 4,000 years of history. It is another way to keep us focused on the true meaning of Christmas.  Basically, it is a short family devotion every night in December leading up to Christmas.  It explores many of God's promises in the Old Testament leading up to the birth of Jesus.  For example, Day 2 is the Creation Story. After reading the devotion and discussing it, we hang the matching ornament on our little Jesse tree. I found embroidery patterns for the ornaments and made them on my machine.  However, I REALLY like how Shannon over at Rocks In My Dryer did hers and may work towards that for next year.  If you would like to read the devotions, I got mine from here .

Here is a picture of some of our ornaments:

Our Jesse Tree


No comments:

I mom, therefore I blog.