Thursday, January 31, 2008

Missing slice

I tried to make a king cake. I've never done it before (who ever needed to, when every two-bit bakery on every corner in New Orleans has them for sale from Christmas to Lent?) Of course, we don't live in New Orleans anymore and having them shipped is so expensive! Last year I bought them from one of the grocery stores here. Ahem. Let's just say, it LOOKED sort of like a king cake but whoever baked it has obviously never TASTED one before! So I got online (what did we do before the internet?) and found a couple of recipes and combined them together and got started. It looked okay, but the dough didn’t rise. I decided maybe I had miscounted and added one too many cups of flour. But I filled it with praline filling and cooked it anyway. Unfortunately, it got very brown on top so I decided to start over and make another one. (And count correctly this time!) And I got very ambitious and decided to make a praline and cream cheese filling. While this one was in the oven I tasted the first one. OH MY OH MY OH MY. It is G-O-O-D. A taste led to a pinch led to a slice! And I haven’t even iced and sugared it yet! However, the second one with the cream cheese filling is still a little wet on the inside of the ring. So I think I’m going to have to use the first one for my party tomorrow night. You know, the one with the big SLICE cut out of it? Hopefully I can “stick” it together and the icing will camouflage my little taste test!

*If you are coming to my house tomorrow night (and of course you are ALL invited!) pretend like you don't know anything about the missing slice!*

No comments:

I mom, therefore I blog.