Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It IS easy being green!

Today is Earth Day. I have really focused on trying to become greener this year. The Georgia drought has really increased our awareness of water usage. When we were home in Louisiana over spring break (where everything is flooded!) I was amazed at how much water is wasted on a daily basis...the same things that we did here before the water restrictions. Running the faucet while washing dishes, etc.

Even if you are not ready to make major changes in your life to become greener, there are still lots of things you can do right now, with little effort. So today I challenge you-find at least ONE thing that you can focus on this year to make a difference! At our house, in addition to watching our water consumption, I am making a DELIBERATE effort to not use plastic bags if possible. I use tupperware snack cups in lunches instead of baggies and wrap sandwiches in aluminum foil (which is recyclable) or use tupperware sandwich containers. I am trying to use canvas bags for small trips to Walmart and Target instead of plastic bags, although I have a LONG way to go on this! Luckily, Publix grocery store has a recycling center for shopping bags, so I drop off a load when I go. For a list of ways to go green the easy way, click here. What do you do to be green?

1 comment:

Troye said...

Change your lightbulbs to energy efficient bulbs- and turn your lights off when you walk out of the room.

I mom, therefore I blog.